Attendance Policy


What happens when my child is sick and cannot come to school?

Please fill out this form if your child is going to be absent or tardy for any of the following reasons:

  • Illness
  • Medical appointment (doctor or dentist)
  • For any purpose of Jury Duty when required by the law
  • Appointments, conferences, or interviews with attorney’s, law enforcement officers, probation officers and/or immigration appointments
  • Religious holiday observance or religious ceremony
  • Funeral Services (one day in California, three days Out of State)

You can also continue to report absences or tardiness by calling the Main Office at (415) 241-6276. Please leave a message if no one is available to pick up the phone.

Some teachers will also want direct notification. Please reach out to your Room Parent to understand how your teacher wants to be notified of absences if at all.

What is considered an excused absence?

  • See the full attendance policy for a complete list of excused absences.
  • A student who is absent due to illness and who has not informed the school of this absence will be considered an “unexcused absence.”

What happens when my child is late to school?

  • A student who arrives after 9:30am is considered tardy.
  • Please have your child check into the Main Office first.  You will sign your child in and then send your child to class.
  • If your child is tardy to school due to a doctor’s appointment, please bring in your appointment verification form/letter explaining why your child is tardy to school.

What happens if my child has many unexcused absences?

If a student has many unexcused absences, the school will send letters home, call the student’s home, and request a meeting with the parent/guardian to develop an action plan and identify any support services the family needs to help the student get to school.

Do I need to report every day my child is absent?

Yes, you have to report every day. Fill out this form or call the Main Office at (415) 241-6276.

If my child is sick for a long period, do I need to have a note from my child’s doctor?

Yes, if your child is sick for more than three days you need to have a note from your child’s doctor.

If I know my child will be absent for an extended period of time, what should I do?

It is extremely important that your child does not miss any learning time. Planning family vacations or trips during the school year is not advised. Your child loses valuable learning time. View the full attendance policy for information regarding short-term independent study.