Readers and Families,
Harvey Milk Civil Rights Academy is ready to kick off the 2022 Read-a-thon!
What IS Read-a-thon? First and foremost, it’s a Celebration of Reading! For 10 days, students will be encouraged to read! ALL reading counts: books they read, books students had read to them, comic books, reading for school, reading for fun…. All of it!
Secondly, in order to support the school’s financial needs, Read-a-thon is also a fundraiser (though raising funds is NOT required to participate). Information is below on how to encourage your friends and family to support your student’s reading by “sponsoring” them.
Finally, Read-a-thon gives students the opportunity to SET a goal, and then WORK toward that goal. All students who meet or beat their goals will receive special recognition.
Timeline for Read-a-thon:
Before February 28:
- Set a Goal Go to harveymilk.com/Readathon to help your student set their goal for the number of minutes they can read in 10 days. This is the main objective of Read-a-thon this year. A special prize given to ALL readers who set and MEET OR BEAT their goals. (Goal suggestions are listed in the graphic below.) Goals must be submitted by March 2 to count toward a prize.
- Get Sponsors Students can ask their families and friends to “sponsor” them as they work toward their goal. This is a great fundraiser to share with grandparents, aunts and uncles and friends who are like family. All donations to HMCRA are tax deductible and support our amazing school. You can find a social media toolkit online to help you share the word with your personal community, and encourage our young readers.
- Find Something to Read All reading counts: in school, out of school, adults reading to students, comic books, magazines, Audio Books and some really great books from our own HMCRA library.
Starting March 1:
- Track your Minutes Use the online, form or the paper log on the back. For minutes to count, they must be tracked online or on paper. Online minutes can be entered daily, or once at the end, but must be tracked daily. (Students can also use this Google Sheet to enter all reading. Please only submit once after March 11.)
- Join your readers! Parents/Families can find a recommended reading list from the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee to join in the reading.
- Turn in all your minutes In order to have your minutes count toward your goal and your class’s tally, all minutes must be turned in to your teacher or online via this form by March 14th. Parents, if it’s easier, you can use this Google Sheet to track and then submit by emailing to Readathon@harveymilk.com. If your child forgets their forms at home, a picture of the reading log is fine! Please email it with your reader’s name and the subject “Student Reading Log” to firstname.lastname@example.org. All minutes must be received by the end of the day March 14th.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.
Thank you for supporting this effort to instill a lifelong love of reading in each of our students.
Sarah Kern (school librarian)
and Tarrah Pollaro (PFC Read-a-thon lead)